Sponsor other Relative also called as the “Lonely Canadian” category


Under a program that is generally referred to as the “Lonely Canadian Program” or the “Other Relative Program,” a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor one adult son or daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew to immigrate to Canada. The program is designed to favour persons who do not have relations in Canada and have no possibility to sponsor immediate family.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • If you’re a Permanent Resident, you must live in Canada to sponsor the eligible relatives
  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

If you live in Quebec

You must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after we approve you as a sponsor. This includes signing an “undertaking” with the province. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or child if you:

  • You are in prison.
  • You have not paid your alimony or child support payments.
  • You have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet.
  • You got social assistance for reasons other than being disabled.
  • You didn’t pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments.
  • You sponsored another relative in the past and didn’t meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement were convicted of a violent crime, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on details of the case, such as the type of offence, how long ago it was and whether a record suspension was issued (formerly called “pardons” in Canada).
Important Note: You can only sponsor relatives like a brother, sister, aunt, or uncle in very specific situations. Depending on your situation, there are 2 options for who you can sponsor.

Orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild:

In this category, you must meet all of the following conditions:
  • They’re related to you by blood or adoption
  • Both their mother and father passed away
  • They’re under 18 years of age
  • They’re single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)
You can’t sponsor your brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild if:
  • One of their parents is still alive.
  • No one knows the whereabout of their parents.
  • Their parents abandoned them.
  • Someone else other than their parents are taking care of them while one or both their parents are alive.
  • Their parent is in jail or otherwise detained.

Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

  • you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
  • spouse
  • common-law partner
  • conjugal partner
  • son or daughter
  • parent
  • grandparent
  • orphaned brother or sister
  • orphaned nephew or niece
  • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
  • Canadian citizen
  • permanent resident
  • registered Indian under the Indian Act

How we can help?

We will be conducting an assessment of your profile and determine your eligibility for Sponsor other Relative Sponsorship program. Upon the assessment, an unbiased review will be provided on your profile. If eligible we will assist from preparing the complete application to facilitating the Sponsor other Relative application until the outcome. For more details contact, info@trustcosmicimmigration.ca or 905-564-1888. Click here, to book an appointment for in person counseling with one of our business consultants.