The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is an economic immigration program that nominates people for permanent residence in Alberta. Candidate must have skills to fill job shortages in Alberta or be planning to buy or start a business here. They must also be able to provide for their families. The program is run by the governments of Alberta and Canada.
The AINP has 2 streams for foreign workers who are living and working in Alberta, or plan to live and work here: Alberta Opportunity Stream & Alberta Express Entry Stream & 3 streams for entrepreneurs who plan to live in Alberta and buy or start a business in the province: International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream, Self-Employed Farmer Stream and Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream.
1) Alberta Opportunity Stream
The Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS) is for temporary foreign workers who are already working full-time in Alberta and have a full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in an eligible occupation. Candidates must have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or hold one of the accepted LMIA exemption work permits.
- Must have a valid work permit- not implied status, automatic extension, or restoration status.
- Work permit could be positive LMIA based, LMIA exemption based, an open work permit or a Post Graduate Work permit
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder, your occupation must also be related to your field of study in Alberta.
- For the work occupations in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, a minimum of 5 for each English/ French language skill is required.
- For the work occupations in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, a minimum of 4 for each English/ French language skill is required.
- For the work occupations under NOC 3413, a minimum of CLB 7 for each English/ French language skill is required.
- Have completed a minimum of high school education in your country of origin.
- PGWP holders must meet the additional education requirements.
- A minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months, or
- A minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in your current occupation in Canada or abroad within the last 30 months or both – this work experience can be a combination of experience gained in Alberta, in Canada (outside Alberta) or abroad.
- Post-Graduation Work Permit holders require a minimum of 6 months full-time work experience in your current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months.
- For all applicants, including PGWP holders, at the time your application is mailed to the AINP or submitted in the AINP portal, and at the time the AINP assesses your application for nomination, you must have a bona fide full-time job offer or employment contract from an Alberta employer to work in your current occupation in Alberta.
2) Alberta Express Entry Stream
The Alberta Express Entry Stream allows Alberta to nominate a limited number of qualified candidates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s Express Entry system. Candidates who have demonstrated strong ties to Alberta or who can help support the government’s economic development and diversification priorities may be asked to apply.
- Required an active Express Entry profile in the federal Express Entry pool.
- Stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta.
- Working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification.
- Required a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System score of 300.
Factors that increase can increase or decrease your chances
|Increase your chances
||Decrease your chances
|Alberta job offer and/or work experience
||Express Entry profile expires in 5 months or less
|Graduate of a Canadian post-secondary institution
||Express Entry profile expires in 5 months or less
3) International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGEIS) allows Alberta to nominate qualified international graduates from Alberta post-secondary institutions who want to establish or operate a business in Alberta to apply for permanent residence. International graduates of approved Alberta post-secondary institutions who want to start a business or buy an existing business can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).
- Have completed at least two years of full-time education in Alberta, and completion of program of study must result in a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
- Have a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid for at least 2 years at the time of your Expression of Interest (EOI) submission.
- Have a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7 for each English language skill or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) of 7 for each French language skill: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Must establish a new business or buy an existing business in Alberta with a minimum 34% ownership. The proposed business type must not be on the list of ineligible businesses.
- Business Partners must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Have a minimum of 6 months of full-time work experience that can be a combination of actively managing or owning the business or equivalencies. Equivalencies include experience with a business incubator or business accelerator, or completion of entrepreneurship program courses.
4) Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Experienced farmers who plan to buy or start a farm in Alberta can apply for permanent residence. This stream is for individuals who have the financial resources and farm management experience to purchase and establish a farm in Alberta.
- Applicants must prove that they have farm management skills.
- Applicants must be able to invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
- Applicants must document their investment plans in a proposed business plan.
5) Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream
The Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream (FGSVS) is an economic immigration program for qualified foreign educated graduates from outside of Canada who want to launch start-up enterprises and innovative businesses in Alberta.
- Minimum of 6 months full-time work experience that can be a combination of actively managing or owning the business or equivalent (equivalencies are work experience with business incubator or business accelerator).
- Completion of a degree from a post-secondary institution outside of Canada within the last 2 years with an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).
- A business plan with projected financials.
- Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7 for each English language skill or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) of 7 for each French language skill: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Must have a minimum of 34% ownership if the business is in an urban centre or a minimum of 51% ownership if located in regional area outside Calgary and Edmonton.
- The mandatory minimum investment for an urban centre is $100,000 while the mandatory minimum investment for a regional area is $50,000.
- Must have a letter of recommendation from an AINP-approved designated agency.
- Minimum settlement funds requirements based on the Low-Income Cut-Offs (LICOs).
How can we help?
We will be conducting an assessment of your profile and determine your eligibility for your nomination by a province or territory. Upon the assessment, an unbiased review will be provided on your profile. If eligible we will assist in submitting the Provincial Nominee application and represent you for the complete process. For more details contact, firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-564-1888.